Menu
Cart 0

News — History

Lighting at Batavia Electric Supply

Posted by Katelyn Holton on

Lighting at Batavia Electric Supply

When Stephen and Shirley Handra started Batavia Electric Supply in 1967 they began selling light fixtures out of a building at their farm. In fact, Shirley had to convince Stephen to sell light fixtures in the first place. When we moved to our current location, a showroom was built specifically for light fixtures. Fast forward to today, we have a combination of styles ranging from Traditional, Transitional, Farmhouse, and Modern. We have just recently started selling a new line of lighting called Progress Lighting. They offer affordable, high-quality lighting.  We also have a new lighting specialist, Robert Rouse.  Robert is an...

Read more →

The Second 25 Years

Posted by Katelyn Holton on

The Second 25 Years

Batavia Electric Supply Gets a New Addition In 2000, Batavia Electric Supply expanded their brick & mortar store. They remodeled the original building and added a 3,300 square foot expansion. It took a little over 3 months to finish, and when completed, it allowed Batavia Electric to have more inventory on display and to showcase their light fixtures.      In an article published by a local newspaper during the renovation, Shirley and Steve mentioned they started Batavia Electric because they wanted to eliminate excess travel for local contractors. "We're bursting at the seams," said Shirley, referring to the much needed operating...

Read more →

The First 25 Years

Posted by Katelyn Holton on

The First 25 Years

In the first ten years of business Batavia Electric Supply made big moves.  Stephen and Shirley started selling light fixtures out of a building on their farm.  In just a few short years they expanded to Keane Coal and Lumber.  Once they outgrew that location they relocated to Main Street in downtown Batavia (which is now part of Grammas Pizza).  Stephen and Shirley also rented the space above the business which is where they kept their inventory.       In December of 1976, Batavia Electric opened their doors in a new building.  They spent their Thanksgiving moving from the Main...

Read more →

Founders of Batavia Electric Supply

Posted by Katelyn Holton on

Founders of Batavia Electric Supply

Founders of Batavia Electric Supply: Stephen & Shirley Handra Stephen Handra was born in 1927 in Cincinnati, Ohio to George and Johanna Handra.  He grew up with three brothers, George, Frank, and John.  In 1945, at the age of 18, he enlisted in the Army.  During his tenure in the army he worked as an automotive mechanic.  He received the World War II Victory Ribbon and an Army Occupation Medal.  After his service ended in 1946, he began working as an electrician while working at an automotive shop with his brother Johnny.  Shirley (Dewald) Handra, was born in 1929 in...

Read more →